#3-01, Linda’s Variable Star is a 4’ X 4’ barn quilt block located near Eglantine cemetery. Eglantine was a town located on river land known as Wild River Bottom. The 1959 construction of Greer’s Ferry dam required Eglantine town to be moved to avoid being submerged. The Eglantine cemetery was moved to its present location. The rock church found at the corner of Highway 330 and Eglantine road was moved to it’s present location as well. A beautiful view of Sugar Loaf Mountain can be seen down Eglantine Road. Eglantine is a name for wild pink rose. It is said the hills of Eglantine were covered with wild pink roses, thus earning its name. In the early 1900’s Eglantine was a thriving little town with 4 general stores, 2 drug stores, a boarding house, a dentist, blacksmith and a grist mill grinding grain. Linda Gardner, an avid quilter, painted this barn quilt block to try out her quilting skills on her barn. She had her quilt block up even before the Van Buren County Quilt Trail was conceived and developed.
#3-02, The Lucas Strawberry at 8246 Highway 16 East near Shirley uses a broken diamond pattern displaying a center strawberry to represent Wade Lucas Farms’ most famous crop. The quilt block is 4’ X 4’ and painted by Shelley Moix. Wade Lucas Farms is best known for strawberries but also grows sweet corn, peas, cantaloupes, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, onions, greens and as of this year lettuce. In 2007 Wade Lucas and his wife Marlene started working the dirt and moving many rocks preparing the land to grow strawberries. Wade grew up in Florida on a farm and has farmed all his life. The Lucas family was the 2017 Van Buren County farm family of the year. Fresh produce can be purchased at the farm’s cedar clad store. Lunch of fresh cut salads, sandwiches, baked goods, pies and cakes can be enjoyed on a covered back porch overlooking the farm that is nestled in a valley. Marlene Lucas’ baked concoctions are well known and highly sought after.
#3-03, The Swenson Double Wedding Ring quilt block at 14085 Highway 16 E. at Fairfield Bay is 4’ X 4’ and was painted by Anna Massery. Her inspiration is a wedding ring quilt her Grandmother gave her as a wedding gift. Anna meticulously recreated each fabric block by painting the colors and designs. Steve Swenson built this barn for their guided horse tour business that operated between 1998 through 2011. Steve admires old barns so he designed their barn like historical barns and used rustic materials such as rough sawn oak and a metal roof. Fairfield Bay for many years had guided horse riding tours. When the previous owners closed their business, Fairfield Bay Time Shares approached the Swensons about opening a guided horse tour business. During the high point 60 plus people a day participated in the guided horse tours. Today it’s a quiet, idyllic private setting.
#3-04, The Broken Diamond quilt block at 314 View Drive, at Shirley was painted by Patti Rye. It’s based on the star shape and some call it Broken Star. Made of 32 skewed rectangles in a circle, a star shape emerges. It’s named Broken Diamonds because it resembles the facets of a diamond reflected by light. Ozark Mountain foliage colors of gold, orange, deep red, green and brown were chosen with an accent of the Native American color turquoise. The two “electric” colors of orange and turquoise give it movement, making your eyes move around the design. The background is a combination of tan and light gold depicting an aged quilt. The quilt block hangs on the side of The Pig Trail Trading Company studio which is owned and operated by Patti Rye, a native Arkansan who is a graphic designer. Her whimsical hogs depicting the Arkansas Razorback fans are on t-shirts, hand-sewn pillows, aprons and tea towels. She also designs pink pigs in the same way. You can find seasonal home and gift items including handmade soaps and other niceties at PigTrailTrading.com. Patti sells her barn quilts at the Heart of Rogers Craft Fair Exhibit in Rogers, AR during the Fall craft festival and also takes special design orders. You’ll love weaving around the big boulders on Boulder Blvd. and will enjoy the stunning view of the lake finding this one!
#3-05, The “Sail Boat at the Lake” quilt block is at 100 Greenwood Road, Fairfield Bay, AR. Look for the white, two-story building at left before turning right to go to the Fairfield Bay Marina on Greers Ferry lake. The 4’ X 4’ quilt block is sponsored by Fairfield Bay City Hall and was painted by Shelley Moix. The quilt block includes a sail boat to reflect the significance of Greers Ferry lake to the community of Fairfield Bay. Fairfield Bay was formed in 1965 as a lake/mountain resort and retirement community. The site was chosen because of Greers Ferry lake. People are attracted by the beauty of the mountains and the pristine waters of Greers Ferry lake and move to Fairfield Bay, while others choose to vacation and weekend at the Bay. Fairfield Bay has a current population of 2,247 and sports two golf courses, tennis courts, hiking trails, a disc golf course, several pools, restaurants and 90 miles of ATV trails. The dedication by John F Kennedy of the Greers Ferry Lake Dam at Heber Springs in October 1963 was one of his last public appearances before the assassination. Greers Ferry lake was formed by a dam of the Little Red River. The dam’s primary function is flood control and also serves as a hydroelectric power plant. The recreational lake is 30,000 to 40,000 acres depending on the water level and has 340 miles of shoreline. People enjoy boating, water sports, swimming and fishing on the beautiful lake. Fairfield Bay is a very inviting place on the north shore. visitfairfieldbay.com/marina/
#3-06, The Train quilt block can be found on the Shirley Museum which was founded in 2011 during Shirley’s 100th year celebration. An old typewriter that was in the train depot is on display in the museum. The quilt block is 4’X 4’ and was designed and painted by Anna Massery.
In 1908 the pride of the Shirley community was built by the Wisconsin Bridge and Iron Company and today is a photo-opportunity not to be missed. The train bridge was built over the Little Red River to carry trains of the Missouri & North Arkansas railroad. In 1909 the Shirley community post office was opened and most likely named for a railroad employee. The incorporation of the town Shirley became official in 1911. The town of Shirley became prosperous due to the timber industry and at one point had 2,000 residents. The Missouri and North Arkansas railroad was essential, carrying timber, cattle, cotton, cream and produce to market. The railroad closed its lines through Shirley in the mid-1940’s due to a strike and flood damage. The Shirley depot remained until 1964. Today you can still walk or drive over the historic Shirley train bridge. The Cottrell Wilson trail head in downtown Shirley is situated right near where the depot stood. The hiking trail meanders along the railroad bed and the river until reaching the top where a historic cemetery is found. Best to hike in the colder months to avoid ticks, chiggers, and snakes but the two-mile round trip is worth your time. Note that the upper section is not barricaded from the high boulder-strewn cliff over the river, so be cautious, especially with young children.
#3-07, Pinwheel block is a colorful 4’ X 4’ quilt block designed and painted by Anna Massery. It is placed on the Cannaday Abstract building located in downtown Clinton which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The historical nomination was made for the rustic appearance of the sandstone clad buildings and the age of the buildings. The downtown buildings were constructed between 1903 and 1956. A Hank Kaminksy “Three Rivers Trailhead” sculpture can be found in the Archey Fork city park nearby. The water sculpture symbolizes local heritage and the three rivers, Little Red, South Fork and Archey Fork, which are the headwaters of Greers Ferry Lake. The images on the sculpture were chosen to represent important elements of Van Buren County history. Take some time and explore the downtown. Learn more at http://www.clintonarchamber.com
#3-08, “Go Fish” block located at 4350 Highway 330, Fairfield Bay AR, is a fun 4’ x 4’ quilt block designed and painted by Patti Rye. The quilt block is displayed at Fairfield Bay Marina on Greers Ferry Lake. Fairfield Bay Marina is a 400 slip marina with a wide variety of rental pontoons, ski boats, jet skis, kayaks and paddle boats. They host five major events during the season. The marina also shuttles 4000+ people to Sugar Loaf Island yearly in addition to hosting multiple family and company events on their 60 person barge. Over 100,000+ people visit the marina yearly by both land and water. visitfairfieldbay.com/marina/
#3-09, Hidden Star is a 4’ X 4’ quilt block painted by Kay Otis. Located at 369 Dave Creek Parkway at Fairfield Bay, it is proudly displayed on the Fairfield Bay Library building. The Fairfield Bay Library is a 501c3 charity organization not funded by tax dollars. It is operated on fund raisers, membership dues and 35+ volunteers. The library was founded in the early ’70’s by a group of Fairfield Bay salesman wives. Over the years and efforts of many the library grew and moved into its present location in 2000. The library offers books, audio books, movies, free Wi-fi, public computers, periodicals and nature backpacks. The library services over 1,000 local residents in Fairfield Bay, Shirley and the surrounding areas. The Wyndham time share community enjoys the benefits of the library as well. http://www.fairfieldbaylibrary.com/
#3-10, The Patriotic quilt block is 4’ X 4’ and painted by Anna Massery. It can be found on the beautiful farm of Barbara and Steve Jackson located in the community of Crabtree with an address of 10767 Highway 16W, Clinton AR. This quilt block accurately reflects this patriotic family. Steve retired from the army after serving over 21 years. Barbara and Steve are the 3rd generations of Jacksons to live on this farm. The Jacksons have horses and enjoy participating every year in the “Empty Wagon” ceremony at the National Championship Chuckwagon races held every Labor Day weekend at the Bar O F Ranch in Clinton. The Empty Wagon ceremony is in memory of Chuckwagon race participants who have passed during the year. Steve has a little hobby shop out back where he makes and sells log furniture.
#3-11, Mystic Maze is a 4ft x 4ft quilt block painted by Shelley Moix. The pattern, Mystic Maze, was selected by the Van Buren County Historical Society. The Van Buren County Museum was open to the public in early 1991 by the Van Buren County Historical Society. The building was purchased from the Pentecostal Church in 1988. This building has also housed several other organizations and businesses, but it best known as the old Cheese Plant. The society cooperates with officials to ensure the preservation and accessibility of the records and archives of the county, and assists the county and its citizens in the preservation of historical buildings, monuments, and markers. The museum has many items in the museum which were donated by the people of Van Buren County. Among these items are several quilts made by local Van Buren County residents. The latest addition to the museum is a research library to house the growing collection of genealogy research material and family history.
#3-12, Magnolia Bud. This 4ft X 4ft quilt block is the Magnolia Bud pattern. The block is located at 12173 Highway 65 N. at Dennard, AR. It was designed and painted by Fairfield Bay artist Bonnie Hookman. The block is on a building that is currently Zooper Market gift shop and “He-Brews” coffee shop. The building was formerly the gift shop for Hallie’s Zoo. Hallie’s Zoo opened in 1967 and featured an ice cream shop, gift shop, restaurant and had animals that ranged from lions, to tigers to bears to spider monkeys. Hallie’s Zoo claim to fame was that it had a 50 mile view and the world’s tallest miniature train trestle that went out over the mountain. The train also went over the animal cages. People enjoyed riding the train. Some of the old tracks can be found in the parking lot. The zoo closed down in 1979. The property remained abandoned until purchased in 2014 by Rick Montgomery and his church. They renovated the three main buildings that are now used by the Zoo Church Village and a rehabilitation center for men with addictions.
#3-13, The Star is a 4’ X 4’ quilt block painted by Patti Manville. It adorns the Rabbit Ridge Farms venue facility where Alan and Angela Mahan host lunch on Wednesdays, brunch on scheduled Saturdays, frequent dinners, weddings and other events. The farm is located about 10 miles west of Bee Branch via Highway 92. Rabbit Ridge Farm has been in the Mahan family for three generations. They work together to create a sustainable farm that humanely raises animals in the natural environment which creates a delicious and healthy meat. Their goal is to provide healthy food from their farm to families. To track their menus and learn more about scheduled events, follow them on Facebook at Facebook.com/RabbitRidgeFarms or at their website at rabbitridgefarm.com