Washington County quilt blocks #6-01 to #6-08 are located at Son’s Chapel. The chapel has an intriguing history. Located at 5480 East Mission Boulevard (Route 45), Fayetteville, AR 72701, Son’s Chapel is 2 ½ miles east of the intersection of Mission Blvd and North Crossover Road (Route 265). The Son’s Chapel display of 8 barn quilts was erected in 2018. They were positioned alongside the road at the edge of the Chapel’s parking lot so that they could be easily seen from the road and also would invite passers-by to stop in the parking lot to view them more closely. The display was created from free-standing, two-sided boards. Designed and painted by the Son’s Chapel Quilters as an example of more than 40 years of quilt-making, they reflect the history of Son’s Chapel Rural Builders. In 1842 the land where Son’s Chapel is located was part of a 160-acre parcel issued by the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek to Ah-To-Chubee, a Choctaw man. Upon his death a few years later, the ownership of that land was deposited in the general land office in Fayetteville. Subsequently, in 1848 Michael and Nancy Son, after migrating to the area from Kentucky and Missouri, were issued a patent for 40 acres of that original 160-acre tract. After building their home there in 1851, they saw a need for a community gathering place and conveyed 2 acres and 117 poles of land for the sum of $2.00 on March 9, 1852, to the Methodist Protestant Church for a cemetery and church building. Located at the edge of Son’s Cemetery, the original “Son’s Chapel” (named in honor of the family who sold the land) was a log structure. By the late 1880s the community had grown to the extent that the log chapel no longer served its needs.
#6-01,My Cabin represents the original “log cabin” that the community named “Son’s Chapel” in honor of the family upon whose land the structure was erected. Built on the north edge of the cemetery, this first incarnation of “Son’s Chapel” was used as a community school, church, and gathering place. When the community outgrew the log structure, a second “Son’s Chapel” was built across the street from the cemetery in 1890. The new frame one-room structure housed a one-room school that also served as a Sunday School and community building. To continue the story of Son’s Chapel…In 1890 a second building was constructed across the street from the Cemetery and just east of the present location of Son’s Chapel. This second building housed a one-room school for grades 1-8, a Sunday School, and a community building for local activities and meetings. In 1949 the school consolidated with Fayetteville Schools, so this building was sold and moved to become a private home which is still owned by a current member of the Rural Builders.
#6-02, Snail’s Trail represents the path of the initial twenty women who met in 1922 with the goal of building a newer, larger Son’s Chapel. Realizing the one-room school house/community center/chapel was no longer adequate for the community, these women worked diligently for almost 20 years in order to see their vision become reality. Through their fund-raising efforts and the volunteer hours of their husbands, their perseverance resulted in the current “Son’s Chapel” which provided more space to gather and share their religious faith and community spirit.
These determined ladies adopted as their motto, “With the Lord’s help, and our husbands, we can and will do it!” This motto is engraved on the cornerstone of the current chapel. In order to see their goal come to fruition, they immediately began fund-raising projects. Beginning with selling boxed lunches at the local cattle sales where they earned $200.00, they organized many other projects which increased their funds to $1,500.00.
#6-03, Two White Uniforms quilt block honors those buried in the cemetery across the street from Son’s Chapel, including all military who served during the Civil War, WWI, WWII and all other wars/conflicts since, as well as the early pioneers who became part of the community surrounding Son’s Chapel. The patriotic star is the symbol of the American, the Confederate and the Union flags. The color white is for purity and innocence while the color red represents the valor, blood, and sacrifice of the patriots who have fought and continue to fight to protect our country. Finally, the blue stands for vigilance, perseverance and justice for all.
Nancy Son, the wife of Michael Son who transferred the land for the sum of $2.00 for the building of the chapel and the cemetery, is the only Son ancestor buried in the cemetery. Son’s Cemetery, one of the oldest in Washington County, remains an active cemetery.
#6-04, The Big Plane represents the vision, ideas, and fund-raising events throughout the years that resulted in the three incarnations of Son’s Chapel, as well as the continued perpetuation of piecing quilt squares to create a dimensional plane. For over 40 years funds for the Chapel’s expenses have come from making and selling quilts. Based on past minutes and historical data found in the archives, from 1979-2019 the Son’s Chapel Quilters have made and sold 1,400 baby quilts and 100 BIG quilts, earning $80,000 for the Chapel. Initially the quilts were made by members at their own homes and donated for sale at yearly bazaars. For twelve years, they also made and donated quilts for the Goshen Fire Department as raffle/fund raisers. In 1994 at the request of the City of Fayetteville, they made a quilt for the 50th anniversary of the end of WWII to be hung in the Fayetteville Air Museum. Currently, most of the quilting is done on Tuesdays in the community gathering room under the sanctuary at Son’s Chapel.
#6-05, All the Way to California represents the change from the original intent of the Son’s Chapel community building. As the building was originally erected to serve the members of the local community, members were required to live within a three-mile radius of the Chapel. Mobility became an issue quite early as the second president of Rural Builders moved to California during her first term. Added to that, the community grew in numbers as well as area, partially as a result of the paving of Route 45 between the cemetery and the current Chapel. In June, 1995, the members amended Article 5 of the Son’s Chapel Constitution, changing the three-mile residency requirement to open membership.
To continue the story of Son’s Chapel….by 1933 they decided the new church would be a 36’ x 50’ building constructed of native stone. The community men joined the efforts of their wives. Using their horses and mules, they began excavation. With the exception of one stone mason and one carpenter that they hired, the men all volunteered their time and worked diligently, completing the building in 1939. The current location of Son’s Chapel was dedicated on May 26, 1940, as a Community Protestant Church with the upstairs designated as the Chapel and sanctuary for religious events and the downstairs area reserved for social and community activities.
#6-06, Mini Bow Tie echoes the hymn “Blest Be the Tie That Binds,” which represents the tie between those original Rural Builders who united for fund raisers and labored to build Son’s Chapel and the current members who work diligently to maintain the facility. Today’s members, all volunteers who are the daughters of generations of quilters, have the same determination as those original members who accepted the challenge in 1922 of building, protecting, and preserving the community facility. At their weekly gatherings, they relate stories of family quilting, of the many quilts made with love and often given as treasured mementos for special occasions. In creating the quilts to be sold, their intent is to tie their determination to those of future generations to ensure there will always be a Son’s Chapel for community gatherings as well as to continue the tradition of giving hand-stitched quilts that become truly priceless family heirlooms.
#6-07, Memory Book of Yesterday represents the initial planning, the fund-raising, and the building of Son’s Chapel, with each momentous step having been laboriously recorded and initially hand-written in a treasure-trove of books and historical documentation. Not only does the Chapel have these archives, but the original school house bell is currently a viable part of the Chapel bell tower. From the original log cabin by the cemetery to the one-room school/community center to the current building, Son’s Chapel has provided the community with a place to gather to worship, celebrate events of life and even bury family members. Both the Chapel and the Cemetery are notable landmarks and a living monument of the community. In 2015 Son’s Chapel obtained 501 (c) (3) status. Of the original 20 founders, two family members who attended the Chapel’s one-room school are still active in the preservation of the Chapel. The current members of Son’s Chapel Rural Builders continue as caretakers to protect and preserve Son’s Chapel as a living monument to the courageous and ambitious women and their supportive community whose determination enabled its creation. Through memorial gifts, wedding rental fees, donations given during monthly soup lunches, and their making and selling hand-quilted baby quilts along with other crafts sold during open house events, today’s Rural Builders earn the funds for all expenses, repairs, and maintenance of the Chapel and its grounds. The 8 barn quilt blocks tell the story of Son’s Chapel from its beginning as a log chapel to its current native stone building
#6-08, Pinwheel, represents the circle of events and projects that keep spinning to support Son’s Chapel. From home-made lunches sold at rural livestock auctions as the first fund-raiser to church dinners and box suppers sold to other organizations such as the Home Demonstration State Convention to pies and other baked goods sold, food sales were an important part of fund-raising for the Rural Builders. Along with food sales, the members made craft items and quilts sold at silent auctions and bazaars that included knitted doll clothes, Cabbage Patch doll clothes, embroidered plaques, wall-hangings, birdhouses, Kleenex box covers, ceramics, pressed flowers, stationery, wooden cut-out figures as well as other hand-made items. Their efforts to make certain the Chapel could be maintained included white elephant sales, a recipe book project, yard sales, and performances of plays with freewill offerings that paid for the Chapel benches/pews. Currently, members earn funds through craft-sales at an Annual Open House, donations at the monthly soup lunch open to the public, wedding venue fees, and sales of hand-made BABY QUILTS to carry on the circle of traditions at Son’s Chapel. In 2003, Son’s Chapel earned recognition by being listed on the National Register of Historic Places with a bronze plaque placed outside the front doors declaring its status.
#6-09, Wild Flower, is a quilt block located at 5635 E. Huntsville Rd. Fayetteville, Arkansas. It hangs on a greenhouse at White River Nursery. The quilt block was painted by nursery owner Sarah McCue. White River Nursery is a family owned plant nursery and garden center in east Fayetteville. The nursery carries a huge variety of annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs and specializes in native plants. The nursery offers customers a unique shopping experience, combining a warm, friendly atmosphere with high quality merchandise and expert advice. Stroll through the nursery to view several other quilt blocks during business hours. Sarah is happy to share her knowledge with visitors. She may even conduct a barn quilt workshop if there is enough interest! The nursery phone is (479) 442-2061. Hours are generally 8am-4pm, Monday-Saturday, but can be impacted by weather. Check the Facebook page for updates.
Learn more about White River Nursery at https://www.whiterivernursery.com/
#6-10, Protect Our Pollinators is at 594 McKnight Ave. west Fork AR. The barn is on a lane separate from the house so don’t miss it! The quilt block is located on an over 100 year old double crib barn on Baker’s Acres in West Fork. Patty Baker shares the following story. Crib barns are found throughout the South and Southeast, and are especially numerous in the Appalachian and Ozark Mountain states of North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas. Crib barns are composed of one to six cribs that served as storage for fodder or pens for cattle or pigs. The barns may or may not have a hayloft above. Crib barns were typically constructed with un-chinked logs, and sometimes covered with vertical wood siding. I especially love the hand hewn logs in our barn that form the cribs. We have repaired the foundation and the roof of the barn and have replaced all the support timbers in hopes that this beautiful barn will remain standing for many years to come. Preserving our past is well worth the effort. We have been bee keepers and are organic gardeners and are very conscious of the environment and our footprint upon it. We want people to be aware that pesticides do not just kill the “bad” bugs and that our bee population is delicate and in danger. We strive to live gently on the earth and hope that our beautiful barn quilt will remind others to do so as well. Our friend Jeffi O’Kane, a local stained glass artist, helped design and paint the quilt.
#6-11, Farmer’s Table Cafe double quilt block is located at the cafe of the same name at 1079 S. School Avenue in Fayetteville. Owners Rob & Adrienne Shaunfield opened the Farmer’s Table Cafe in 2014 with the goal of improving the local food system. They firmly believe that by supporting our local food producers, we can help to increase community food security. The Shaunfields love exploring the tastes of the Ozarks and strive to create meals that make you feel good in an environment that feels like home. They believe small is beautiful and intentionally keep things small…selecting ingredients from small family farms and food artisans in our state. They believe that food just tastes better and is better for you when it’s done in small batches. The cafe home is tiny, bringing guests into an intimate space that celebrates food and connects us to one another. The Shaunfields welcome you to join them at The Table!
#6-12, Four Corners is located at 847 N. Park Ave. in Fayetteville. It is on the home of Tom and Tammy Smith. Tammy shares the story of how it came to be. “In 1986 I spent my summer vacation, after a first year of veterinary school, in New Mexico – living with my grandparents and working at a primate center. In the evenings my grandmother taught me how to piece quilts. Since then I have made many a fabric quilt for friends and family. A few years ago I was invited to a lecture on barn quilts, and thinking I would learn a new fabric pattern I attended. How fun to learn about these wooden painted quilt tops that adorned buildings throughout America. One weekend our family decided to build one. “Four corners” is a nod to my childhood home in New Mexico, my birth state of Texas, and my mom‘s birth state of Oklahoma, and our honeymoon in Colorado-many precious parts of my life.”
#6-13, Bright Hope Star is at 12188 Bunyard Rd., Winslow AR. Owner BelvaLee Jurkovich shares the story behind her pattern. The Civilian Conservation Corps or CCC was inaugurated in 1933 by President Roosevelt. The president had two purposes in mind for this new program. One was to provide employment for the young men in our nation and the other was to develop the countries natural resources. These young men were from age 17 to 25 and could not be married. From their monthly allotment of $30, $25 was sent back home to support their families and they got to keep the other five. They worked five days a week, eight hours a day and in their free time they could enjoy the resources around them. Company 797, made up of men from North Dakota, made the trip to Arkansas via the rail in 1933. This group constructed a gravel road from West Fork to Devil’s Den before constructing a massive Stone dam on Lees Creek and built native stone and log cabins in Devil’s Den. This Arkansas State Park consists of over 2500 acres in Winslow Arkansas and Winslow is where the Jurkovich’s red barn proudly displays the quilt block that BelvaLee chose to honor the CCC and their awesome legacy. “Those exemplary young men brought HOPE to their families every month by their tenacity and faithfulness, so I choose to honor them with my Bright Hope Star block.”
#6-14, Wild, Wonderful West Virginia and #6-15 are located at the farm of Retha Griffith, 16537 S. Hwy 71, 8 miles south of West Fork at Brentwood. We three sisters decided to surprise our mother with a barn quilt (or two!) to celebrate her 91st birthday and to add to the Washington County Quilt Trail. Mom and the three of us are all seamstresses, crafters, and quilters. We thought it most appropriate to honor her with two quilt squares representing our heritage and her favorite hobby. “Wild, Wonderful West Virginia” displays the blue and gold from the West Virginia flag and represents our heritage that began in West Virginia. We have lived in Northwest Arkansas since 1973 but our roots are in West Virginia, where Dad and Mom were both born and raised and where they were married in 1951. Seven of our 8 siblings share West Virginia as our birthplace. Mom has been taking girl trips with us all over the United States, but any trip east of the Mississippi includes stops in West Virginia to visit friends and relatives and the old home place of Mom’s which was built in the 1820s and remains in the family. Please enjoy our quilt block and your travels to wherever the road takes you.
#6-15, View from Our Loveseat is a pair of cardinals, the state bird of West Virginia. Mom is an avid bird watcher and we don’t miss a chance to start the morning by sitting with her in the loveseat looking out the picture window drinking coffee and watching birds while enjoying each other’s company. We knew we wanted to include birds on our square and after looking at several choices, we chose the pair of cardinals (they often mate for life) which also represents our parents and their 54 year marriage. Although Dad has lived in heaven now since 2005, Mom still lives on her 40+ acre farm and takes remarkable care of it. We are so proud of her and all of our family. We are very happy to add to the Washington County Quilt Trail and we are excited to be able to share these quilt squares and the stories behind them with those who are traveling Highway 71 at Brentwood.
#6-16, Happy Cardinal, at 114 N. Double Springs Rd., is located just inside the Farmington city limits. Happy Cardinal, a 1’x1′ small quilt square, was painted by Karee Dowty to make her children smile. Since becoming Farmington Cardinals the Dowty Boys are always on the hunt for cardinals. Each time they see one, they are so excited. In addition to being our school mascot, our yard is home to many beautiful cardinals we enjoy watching each day. Each time we pull in our driveway and see our Happy Cardinal we smile, and we hope anyone who visits the Washington County Quilt Trail will smile when they see him too.
#6-17, Apple Seeds, is located at Apple Seeds Teaching Farm at Gulley Park, 2648 North Old Wire Road, Fayetteville, AR. To find the farm, park in the Gulley Park lot on Old Wire Road and take the path north. Apple Seeds is a nonprofit started in 2007 with the mission to inspire healthy living through garden-based education. They work with more than 10,000+ NWA students each year connecting them with where fresh foods come from, sharing healthy kid-pleasing recipes and teaching cooking skills. Measurable results come from these efforts: 71% of students report they were willing to eat vegetables, 64% retained the nutrition education concepts when tested, 47% report making Apple Seeds recipes on their own after participating in a program. Lessons take place at the Teaching Farm, in NWA schools and now virtually through on-line learning opportunities. The Teaching Farm is 2 acres and provides produce for education as well as for donation to students and their families who need it most. Now fresh produce is grown all year thanks to the addition of a high-tunnel in 2018. This gives students the ability to see and harvest fresh food year-round. Tried and tested recipes are available on their website and cooking lessons on their YouTube channel. In addition to student education, Apple Seeds offers unique culinary experiences with some of the best chefs in the area for fundraising dinners and events at the Teaching Farm. New resources and events are added frequently, so the best way to stay up-to-date is to visit the website www.appleseedsnwa.org or follow the organization on social media and YouTube at Apple Seeds Inc.
#6-18, Yell Law Office, is at 118 E. Dickson, Fayetteville at the
Headquarters House Museum. One of the oldest law office buildings west of the Mississippi River, built in 1835 on the Waxhaws property, the Archibald Yell Law Office is represented by a patriotic quilt design from the era of the War of 1812. The 4′ x 4′ quilt pattern is from a montage of patriotic symbols found where large fields of red and blue, flanked with aisles of white, lead to a central square, tying the pattern together in the center of each block. Often symbols, such as flags, cannons, or other regimental insignias were placed in the center block. A star in the background, with a scale of justice, possibly cross-stitched, signifies both a soldier and attorney (and frontier politician). Yell was all of these. A figure larger than life, Yell was also a colorful figure in Arkansas history. He was Arkansas’s first U.S. congressman, second governor, founder of Arkansas’s first Masonic lodge and a Mexican War hero. He was a consummate and magnetic politician. Yell County and Yellville (Marion County) were named for him. Yell did participate in the War of 1812 at the Battle of Pensacola on November 7-9, 1814. He carried the rank of sergeant and fought in the Battle of New Orleans on January 8, 1815, where he received a favorable notice from General Andrew Jackson. He then served as a first lieutenant in the First Seminole War (1817-1818). It is uncertain just when Yell began to read law; uncertain, too, are the people with whom he studied. Yell was known as a violent man, and engaged in several duels and brawls. President Andrew Jackson appointed Yell as the Receiver of Public Monies at Little Rock in 1831. His first Arkansas stay was cut short by malaria, causing him to return to Tennessee to recover in August 1832. In 1835, he returned to Arkansas, having been appointed a territorial circuit judge. Yell soon gained a popular following, and stories of his courage and compassion are legendary. He made his home in Fayetteville (Washington County), where, in 1835, he built a four-room Greek Revival house “Waxhaws,” that he had painted white. Waxhaws was torn down in the 1970s, but in 1992, the Washington County Historical Society saved his law office. Yell resigned from Congress at the onset of the Mexican War in 1846, returning to Arkansas to enroll in Captain Solon Borland’s company of Arkansas volunteers. He was elected regimental colonel. On February 23, 1847, facing the large Mexican army, commanded by Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, Yell was killed while leading a charge with sword in his hand. First buried near the battlefield at Saltillo in a tin coffin, Yell’s body remained there only five months until it was brought back to Arkansas and buried in the family cemetery at Waxhaws. Finally, all the bodies from this cemetery were removed by the Masonic lodge and reburied in Evergreen Cemetery in Fayetteville in 1874. The Yell Law Office is maintained by the Washington County Historical Society. The Law Office is west of the Headquarters House Museum at 118 East Dickson Street, Fayetteville, AR. Our website can be found at: www.washcohistoricalsociety.org
#6-19, Oak Leaves & Cherries, is at the Headquarters House Museum at 118 E. Dickson St., Fayetteville, AR. The Oak Leaves and Cherries pattern was selected to honor the history of the Ridge House and Washington County and is sponsored by the Washington County Historical Society. According to research, the Oak Leaves and Cherries quilt pattern is a very old pattern that can be documented back to the 1840s. The Ridge House was originally a log cabin built in 1836. It is the oldest known standing house in Fayetteville. The log walls are enclosed within the plaster walls of the lower floor of the current house. Portions of the current wall in the front foyer have been cut away so visitors can see the old log structure. The house was acquired by the Washington County Historical Society in 1971 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. Sophia Sawyer and Mrs. Sarah “Bird” Northrup Ridge set up a school in 1839 with about twenty students, including the fourteen Cherokee girls, upstairs at the Fayetteville courthouse, then on the second floor of a theater on the town square. Fearing the bad influence on the girls from the actors at the theater, Sawyer asked a prominent local attorney, Judge David Walker, to donate land for a school building in a more sheltered location. Judge Walker provided land on Fayetteville’s Block 33, at the corner of today’s Mountain and School streets, and the school opened at that location in 1841. Tuition for the basic five-month term was eight dollars. The Fayetteville Female Seminary soon became known as an outstanding school, generally attracting about fifty young ladies of distinguished families from all over the region. They took classes including music, literature, French, and embroidery and either boarded in a dormitory at the school or with neighboring families. The Oak Leaves and Cherries quilt pattern joins the timeliness of the pattern with the founding of Washington County and its growth into the future. The Ridge House is owned by the Washington County Historical Society. It is located at 230 West Center Street, Fayetteville, AR 72701. Tours of only the entry way can be arranged via the Headquarters House Museum by calling 479-521-2970.
#6-20, Grandmother’s Flower Garden, is at the Headquarters House Museum at 118 E. Dickson St., Fayetteville, AR. The Grandmother’s Flower Garden quilt square was the most popular quilt pattern in the United States after 1925. It represents the Colonial Revival’s ideal of early American quilts. This hexagonal mosaic pattern appeared in England in the late 1700s when it was simply referred to by the names honeycomb or mosaic pattern. Immigrants brought the design to America and the earliest known American-made hexagon quilt is dated 1807. The design sustained its popularity across the decades, changing from chintz to silk to wool to calicoes, first in brown shades, then grays, and finally pastels. Godey’s Ladies Book published the hexagon pattern in 1835. It is thought to be the first pieced quilt pattern published in America. All things English were emulated by cultured American women during this period and making hexagon quilts was very popular in England at the time. The Grandmother’s Flower Garden quilt pattern was selected in honor of the Washington County Master Gardeners who work weekly at the Headquarters House Museum Historic Garden. The Master Gardeners created demonstration gardens similar to what existed from 1853 to 1863, the period of significance for the house when the Tebbetts family resided on what was a four-acre lot. Two documents provide important information about the Tebbetts’ garden. One is The Journal of Marian Tebbetts Banes offering descriptions of life, the gardens and the Tebbetts’ House when Marian was a girl living with her parents in the mid-1800s. The other is Jacob Smith’s nursery inventory, from 1844 to 1859, listing plants grown and sold a mere two miles from the Tebbetts’ property. Marian Tebbetts Banes described the family’s double perennial border along the front walk made of brick. Marian, Judge Jonas M. Tebbett’s oldest daughter, wrote in her journal around 1940 when she was in her early 90’s. She noted in her journal that “roses were everywhere” in the garden. We may not know exactly which roses graced the Tebbetts’ garden, but we do know that the fragrant Hermosa rose was planted at the Tebbett’s House in the mid-1800s near “Mother’s Room.” A pink-flowering Heirloom rose exists in this location today. Early settlers have left testimony about the need for beauty even in the most rugged human existence — hence, the popular planting of the rose. The Headquarters House Museum is owned and operated by the Washington County Historical Society. It is located at 118 East Dickson Street, Fayetteville, Arkansas. Our website is found at: www.washcohistoricalsociety.org.
#6-21, Double Wedding Ring Quilt, is at Headquarters House Museum at 118 E. Dickson St., Fayetteville, AR. The double wedding ring design is steeped in a rich historical tradition dating back as far as the fifteenth century. It is reminiscent of the gimmal ring, a popular engagement ring in which a betrothed couple each wore a single ring during their engagement. The two single rings were interlocked during the wedding ceremony and worn by the wife. The motif has event been found on fourth-century Roman cups and calls to mind the familiar Celtic knot motif of the Western World. The quilt was traditionally made by mothers and grandmothers and given as wedding day or wedding anniversary gifts to their children and grandchildren. Due to the popularity and romantic history of the quilt, many families treasure them and pass them down from generation to generation. American folklore suggests that a marriage was blessed if the couple spent their first night together under a quilt graced with the Double Wedding Ring pattern, further signifying its importance as a traditional wedding gift. Young attorney Jonas March Tebbetts, born January 5, 1820, in New Hampshire, with a growing practice, fell in love with Miss Matilda Jane Winlock, born February 7, 1830, who was attending Miss Sawyer’s School in Fayetteville. Matilda was only seventeen and her family decided that she should attend school for another year and set a wedding date in May 1848. But Jonas did not want to wait to marry his betrothed. Although Matilda said she could not be ready with a proper wedding dress, Miss Winlock did marry on April 19, 1847, in a fashionable gown made of yellow cotton, her favorite color. In 1853, the couple built a “real home” and moved to 118 East Dickson Street with their three small children. Their other three children were born at Headquarters House where they lived on the Arkansas frontier. More of the Tebbetts’ personal story and the story of their house serving as headquarters for both the Union and Confederate armies during the Civil War can be discovered inside the Headquarters House Museum. Washington County Historical Society at 118 East Dickson Street, Fayetteville, AR 72701. www.washcohistoricalsociety.org.
#6-22, Sawyer’s Schoolhouse is at the Ridge House, 230 W. Center St., Fayetteville, AR. The popular Schoolhouse pattern was selected to honor the legacy of education by the Fayetteville, Arkansas community and is sponsored by the Washington County Historical Society. The Schoolhouse quilt pattern probably originated in the United States around the time of the Civil War. The design and its variations include House, Schoolhouse, Little Red Schoolhouse, House on the Hill, Old Kentucky Home, Old Folks at Home, Lincoln’s Log Cabin, The Old Homestead, and Jack’s House. As settlers moved west, they built their log cabin homes. Then, as a community developed, one of the first structures constructed was a schoolhouse. The Ridge House was originally a log cabin built in 1836. It is the oldest known standing house in Fayetteville. The log walls are enclosed within the plaster walls of the lower floor of the current house. Portions of the current wall in the front foyer have been cut away so visitors can view the old log structure. The house was acquired by the Washington County Historical Society in 1971 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. Mrs. Sarah “Bird” Northrup Ridge acquired the house when she and her children’s tutor, Sophia Sawyer, fled to Fayetteville, after Mrs. Ridge’s Cherokee husband, John Ridge, was killed by rival Cherokees in the Indian Territory. Mrs. Ridge and her children lived here beginning in 1839. Miss Sophia Sawyer and Mrs. Ridge began a school in 1839 for the seven Ridge children and other Cherokee girls who came with them from Indian Territory (present-day Oklahoma). This first school, The Fayetteville Female Seminary, had twenty students. It moved locations twice before eventually settling in 1840 on the block of Mountain, between Locust and School streets, one block south of this location on Center Street next to Moore’s Chapel Funeral Home. The first public school district in the state was organized when the Fayetteville School District was chartered on March 20, 1871. The first public school in the city was built for black students. Ebeneazor Enskia Henderson organized this school with help from the American Missionary Society and it opened in 1868. It was located near the intersection of Olive Avenue and Sutton Street and is currently maintained as a residence. The University of Arkansas, first known as the Arkansas Industrial University, was chartered on March 27, 1871 by the Legislature. Fayetteville was selected for the university as it was recognized as a center of education. Local residents David Walker, Lafayette Gregg, and William McIlroy were instrumental in securing bonds and land donations to establish the college. The Ridge House is owned by the Washington County Historical Society. It is located at 230 West Center Street, Fayetteville, AR 72701.